The University of Strathclyde is a public research university located in Glasgow, Scotland. Founded in 1796 as the Andersonian Institute, it is Glasgow’s second-oldest university, having received its royal charter in 1964 as the first technological university in the United Kingdom.
More than 23,000 students from over 100 countries enjoy a student experience at the University of Strathclyde, one of the leading technology universities in the UK.
Located in the heart of the city of Glasgow, you will receive excellent teaching, be part of world-class research and benefit from excellent links with industry. Strathclyde has a strong reputation with employers for producing top quality graduates, making it the perfect place to prepare for your future career. Before you join your chosen degree programme, you can study at the International Study Centre to prepare for your degree with other international students.
Top 20 in the UK
The University of Strathclyde is ranked 18th in the UK by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023 and 16th in the UK by The Guardian University Guide 2023.
Strathclyde is also ranked top 10 in the UK for 20 subject areas by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023, these include:
- 1st Communication and Media
- 1st Pharmacology & Pharmacy
- 2nd Accounting and Finance
- 3rd Social Policy
- 3rd Subjects allied to Medicine
- 4th Chemical Engineering
- 4th Social Work
- 5th Economics
- 6th Bioengineering
- 6th Chemistry
- 6th Civil Engineering
- 6th Law
- 6th Politics
- 7th Architecture
- 7th Biological Science
- 7th Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 8th Mechanical Engineering
- 9th Business, Management & Marketing
- 9th History
- 10th Education
A multi-award winning university
The University of Strathclyde is a highly praised institution:
- University of the Year 2019 (Times Higher Education)
- Scottish University of the Year 2020 (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide)
- First university to win the coveted ‘Times Higher Education University of the Year’ title twice – 2012 and 2019
- Awarded the 2021 Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in the field of Advanced Manufacturing as well as the 2020 prize for excellence in energy innovation
- Almost 90% of research produced by the University has been rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally-excellent’ in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
- Excellence in Professional Learning Award 2019 from the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS)
- Won the Whatuni? Student Choice Awards 2020 for Local Life
- Strathclyde Business School is ranked in the top 95 European Business Schools (ranking 53rd overall) by the Financial Times 2021, one of just 19 UK business schools to be ranked, and one of only three in Scotland
- Ranked fifth in the UK for overall student satisfaction, following analysis of the 2021 National Student Survey by the Times Higher Education.
Why study at the University of Strathclyde?
Stand out from the crowd with the help of the University’s careers services. A degree from the University of Strathclyde integrates practical learning experiences that include internships and work placements. 94% of graduates were in work or study six months after graduation (provided by the University of Strathclyde Strategy & Policy team 2018).
Home of innovation
At the University of Strathclyde, you’ll be at the cutting edge of innovation and discovery. The University has innovative teaching and learning facilities and is transforming the campus, with investment set to reach £1 billion by 2025. This includes a £31 million investment in the new Strathclyde Sport facility, which opened in 2018 and the Learning and Teaching Hub, opening in 2020.
Join world-class alumni
Follow in the footsteps of Strathclyde graduates who have made ground-breaking global achievements. Some of the University’s acclaimed former students include John Logie Baird – inventor of the television, James Blyth – who built the world’s first electricity-producing wind turbine, and Henry Faulds – the originator of fingerprint identification.
Strong links with industry
The University of Strathclyde has local and global links with industry, businesses, and the voluntary and public sectors. The Technology and Innovation Centre on campus is home to companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, SSE, Scottish Power and the Weir Group.
The perfect location
Live in the centre of one of the UK’s largest, most dynamic and welcoming cities. Glasgow provides the perfect balance of culture and beauty, with historic castles and the beautiful Highlands within easy reach.
See what's new on campus...