“A global top 100 university tackling some of the biggest issues the world faces, making a difference to people’s lives on a daily basis.”
The University of Birmingham is one of the most popular universities in the UK. It is part of the Russel Group, making it one of the best universities for higher education.
- Over 30,000 students are studying at University of Birmingham;
- Ranked 1st for American Studies and 3rd for Creative Writing;
- Outstanding teaching, research and student facilities;
- Has more teaching staff available per student compared to other universities;
- Graduates have a great reputation for high-paying jobs;
- Placed 90th in the 2022 QS World University Rankings, and 14thamongst UK universities;
- Ranked amongst the top 5 UK universities for graduate prospects;
- Awarded TEF Gold for outstanding teaching, leaning and success rate;
- One of the top research universities.
Birmingham is a truly global university producing world-leading research. They benefit from mutual partnerships with a wide range of international institutions and host a large international community of researchers and students. With over 8,700 international students from approximately 150 countries, and 31% of their academic staff from overseas, their campus is truly a diverse and global place which attracts the brightest and best international students and staff.
The 2022 Research Excellence Framework (REF), a major exercise which evaluates the quality and the broader impact of research in all universities in the UK, concluded that the University of Birmingham is one of the best universities in the country.
The very best work is scored at 4* by review panels and, on this basis, the University is ranked equal 10th amongst Russell Group universities and equal 13th in the whole UK according to the Times Higher Education.
- Ranked 10th in Russell Group and 13th in UK for Grade Point Average (up from 39th in 2014)
- Ranked equal 10th in the Russell Group and equal 13th in the UK for 4* research (THE)
- Ranked 12th overall in the UK for Research Power (up from 14th in 2014)
- More than 50% of research recognised as 4*
- Largest rise in the Russell Group on percentage 4* and GPA
- Nine subjects ranked in the UK Top 5 for 4*(individual subject rank displayed in brackets): Physics (1), Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences (2), Computer Science and informatics (3), Philosophy (3), Theology and Religious Studies (3), Area Studies (3), Education (4), Sport and exercise sciences, leisure and tourism (5), Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care (5)
- 15 subjects ranked in the top 10 for 4*: Those above plus Anthropology and Development Studies (7) Classics (8), Art and design: history, practice and theory (9), Social Work and Social Policy (9), Law (9), Engineering (10).
“Enjoyable, had a lot of fun and learnt a lot, definitely worthwhile experience” – Jade, Psychology BSc (Hons)
“Good sports clubs and societies, a nice-looking campus and a wide range of events! I’ve really enjoyed my three years here and am able to gain lots of new experiences and friends! The fresher’s fortnight in first year was an amazing introduction that helped me really settle in!” – Student reviewer, Physiotherapy BSc (Hons)
Why study at Birmingham?