City is part of a vibrant global community in the centre of London. Their community is strongly invested in student wellbeing, diversity, environmental sustainability and connections with responsible businesses. It is the greenest university in London (2019 People & Planet University League) and there are students from over 160 countries.
City’s programmes cover undergraduate and postgraduate education, research, short courses and professional development in a wide range of subjects. From mathematics to law, nursing to journalism, and modern languages to computer science, City offers life-transforming education and research.
- Located in the heart of London;
- Named as the greenest university in London;
- 3rd in London for student satisfaction.
Research Excellence Framework
City’s researchers produce world leading and internationally excellent research, as measured by the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
The results of REF 2021, published by UKRI in May 2022, found:
- 86% of City research rated as world leading 4* (40%) and internationally excellent 3* (46%) quality (based on City’s submission to the REF).
- A marked increase in research quality compared to the 2014 REF when 75.7% of research at City was rated as 4* (23.3%) and 3* (52.4%).
- The proportion of City’s research rated world–leading (4*) has almost doubled to 40% (from 23% in 2014).
- Excellence across City Schools, with all individual Units of Assessment (UoA) improving their overall Grade Point Average (GPA) compared to 2014.
- City is 39th in the UK out of 129 universities according to the Times Higher Education rankings, an increase of 12 places since REF 2014.
City submitted 1,186 academic outputs (such as journal articles) and 47 impact case studies from 536 staff by headcount (496 FTE or, to be precise, 495.69) across 13 Units of Assessment to REF 2021. 100 per cent of their eligible academic staff submitted, compared to 53 per cent in REF 2014.
Being a student in London
City, University of London: Applying for postgraduate study